Thursday, March 13, 2008

Go Daniel

Daniel T has had a great week.

This past week we received word that the medications for his pneumonia have been working better than expected and his x-rays show a dramatic improvement. Good boy Daniel T.

The most significant thing is that on Monday after discussions by the medical staff they agreed that the was ready to change ventilators to one that allows him to breath more on his own. He must have been listening because on Tuesday morning he reached up and pulled his breathing tube right out. Since he was so determined to breathe on his own they let him try it for a while and as expected he was not quite ready. They inserted another breathing tube connected to new ventilator and out of 40 breaths a minute he was taking 30 on his own. Because he had done so well all day when Tracy and Tim came to visit they were able to hold him for the very first time. (see images below)

As of the writing of this update Daniel continues to improve and has graduated from the ventilator to a CPAP machine. Yes you read right, a CPAP just like the one great grandpa uses when he sleeps at night (of course it is a very small cpap).

Oh one more thing before I go. Wednesday after noon Daniel must have also been tired of his feeding tube because he once again just like the breathing tube he reached up and pulled it out. The nurse said that was ok because she needed to get him a new one but, when she tried to insert the new tube Daniel clamped his gums together and wouldn’t let her insert it. (I wonder who the boy takes after???)







7 comments:

Cara said...

I am sitting here with tears streaming down my face. I am SO happy for you all. He's such a miracle baby. How great that you can hold him and that he's doing so well. I love that he has such spunk and such a determination about him. Keep it up Daniel! I love these kinds of updates.

Walt said...

It sounds like Daniel has had a conversation with his great Uncle Billy about how to fight feeding tubes. I remember when Grandma and Grandpa Andersen would try and change his tube on occasion, Billy would fight them in similar ways. But then he comes by his stubbornness and independence from all sides of his family. Daniel is determined to make a name for himself it sounds like. My thoughts and prayers continue to be with all of you. Uncle Walt

Jessica said...

Ditto to Cara. I'm choking up at my computer like the bawl-baby I truly am. I'm so excited for you guys! That picture with the three of you is so perfect.

Scott said...

He is looking good. Congrats.

Mama said...

I'm with Cara. I need a tissue. He's such an amazing little guy! Such a strong fighter! Watch out for when he's 2! He's such a little miracle. I know I haven't gotten to know you well, but keep you in my thoughts and prayers and an so happy for your new little family!
step-cousin Jen Brady

ashley said...

Oh he's so sweet and precious. Congratulations on his birth and tremendous progress. He's already got such a cute little personality. Love to all the McMillan fam!

ash

Skipper said...

He looks GREAT you guys! I'm glad to hear that you can hold him now. Watch out, this kid's going to be a tough one. Is William sad to give up his reign of King Baby McMillan?